This photograph was taken from the top of the Hopwood Clock Tower when it was being constructed in 1956. It looks down Rangitikei Street. The large concrete building on the corner of Rangitikei Street and The Square is the Bank of New Zealand. Palmerston North's first BNZ was situated on the corner of Fitzherbert Avenue and The Square. In 1914-15 this building was built on the site of the old Royal Hotel, on the opposite side of The Square. In 1988 it was demolished and a new Bank of New Zealand was again constructed on this site. The site is now occupied by retail outlets. On the other side of the intersection stands the brick building which served as the Clarendon Hotel from 1904-1927 and thereafter as a block of shops - primarily Goldfinch and Cousin's menswear business. In 1931, after the Napier earthquake, the top storey was hurriedly demolished as a potential risk (as were the Post Office and Grand Hotel towers). This building no longer exists and the site is occupied by the Commercial Union and Westside Buildings that contains @ The Hub (a student hostel) and the Rangitikei Convenience Store.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Colour Photograph of 1950s Rangitikei Street
- Held In