This photograph came from a small photograph album that belonged to Mrs R Andrews of Rangitikei House. This photograph bears the caption, " Fountain Square Palmerston North". This photograph shows the King Edward VII Coronation Memorial Fountain, also known as the Coronation Monument. It was built in 1902 to mark the coronation of Edward VII. In 1925, it was combined with another feature of The Square, the concrete fish pond (as shown here). This arrangement remains in place today, though the monument has moved to the corner of The Square nearest to Broadway Avenue. The memorial also commemorates the 25th anniversary of the Borough of Palmerston North, and the achieving of city status in 1930.