Skip to Content

More Info →Lakelet and Observatory

This photograph gives a view of the Lakelet in The Square. The white dome behind the Lakelet is the Observatory. Constructed in 1903, it was demolished in 1938 after falling into a very dilapidated state. The Lakelet itself was installed in 1909 by the Beautifying Society. It is also known Butterfly Lake because of the shape of the pool.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Sq376_008964
Title
Lakelet and Observatory
Relation
CA: Alkire Papers; Public Photograph Collection Sq 376
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Lakelet and Observatory
Square Gardens and Lakelet
Square Gardens and The Lakelet
Lakelet in The Square
Gardens in the Square
Square Gardens and The Lakelet
Lakelet in The Square
The Lakelet, The Square
Lakelet, The Square
Lakelet and Grand Hotel, The Square
Looking across The Square to Church Street West
A View of The Square from All Saints Church

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
1937 to 1938

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Lakelet and Observatory
Square Gardens and Lakelet
Square Gardens and The Lakelet
Lakelet in The Square
Gardens in the Square
Square Gardens and The Lakelet
Lakelet in The Square
The Lakelet, The Square
Lakelet, The Square
Lakelet and Grand Hotel, The Square
Looking across The Square to Church Street West
A View of The Square from All Saints Church

User comments