Skip to Content

More Info →Fountain in The Square

This fountain was located in the western quadrant of The Square - this photograph shows it before the Coronation monument for Edward VII was shifted to sit within the fountain in 1925. The spire on the far left is that of the Catholic Church, then situated in Broad Street. The building with the clock tower on the far right is the Post Office. Built in 1906, the Post Office on the corner of The Square and Main Street was Palmerston North’s fourth, and replaced a small wooden building on the same site. In 1988, when Telecom and Postbank became separate entities, the building ceased to be the Post Office. It currently operates as a restaurant and bar.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Sq31_008838
Title
Fountain in The Square
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 31
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Fountain in The Square
Corner of Broad Street and The Square
Coronation Fountain and Post Office
A View of Church Street West
Carriages Drive Through The Square
Looking Across Square Gardens
Palmerston North "Posting Album"
A Colour Postcard of The Square
Colour Postcard of The Square
Colour Postcard of The Square
Postcard of The Square
Postcard of The Square

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1906

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags
post office,

Report a problem

Related items

Fountain in The Square
Corner of Broad Street and The Square
Coronation Fountain and Post Office
A View of Church Street West
Carriages Drive Through The Square
Looking Across Square Gardens
Palmerston North "Posting Album"
A Colour Postcard of The Square
Colour Postcard of The Square
Colour Postcard of The Square
Postcard of The Square
Postcard of The Square

User comments