This postcard shows the King Edward VII Coronation Memorial Fountain, also known as the Coronation Monument. It was built in 1902 to mark the coronation of Edward VII. In 1925, it was combined with another feature of The Square, the concrete fish pond. The monument was moved in 2005 to the corner of The Square nearest to Broadway Avenue. To the right of the fountain is the old Post Office. A new Post Office for Palmerston North was completed and opened in 1906, on the site of previous one, on the corner of Main Street and The Square. The building was later extended along Main Street, and the tower was removed after the 1942 Wairarapa earthquake, as it was considered unsafe. The clock and chimes were put into storage until reinstated in a clock tower in The Square, which was completed in 1957. It now operates as a cafe and bar.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Coronation Fountain and Post Office
- Held In