The Post Office, which was Palmerston North's fourth, is under construction here, dating the postcard to around 1905-1906. The Band Rotunda featured here was the first of two built in The Square. Constructed in 1899, this incarnation was shifted to the Victoria Esplanade in 1907. A second larger band rotunda was then built in the same location. It was demolished in 1956 to make way for the Hopwood Clock Tower. The structure on the left is the Coronation Monument. It was built in 1904 to mark the coronation of King Edward VII. It has been moved several times - once to the corner of the Square near the City Library to make way for the War Memorial (built 1925) and again in 2005 to the corner of the Square near Broadway Avenue.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Colour Postcard of The Square
- Held In