Skip to Content

More Info →Main Street East

The large gravelled parking area was where the former railway tracks ran down Main Street, before being diverted to the edge of town in the 1960s. to the right can be seen the two storeyed Princess Hotel (see 2008N_Ho15_BUI_1712 and 2011N_Ho24_004782. The Princess Hotel, originally built as the Family Hotel by William Deards in 1874, was soon renamed and remained the Princess Hotel for most of its life. In circa 1979 this building was demolished and rebuilt as the Princess Tavern. This section of road is now State Highway 3. The view looks down towards Ruahine Street from about Kauri Street.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014N_St109_009039
Title
Main Street East
Relation
Public Photograph Collection St 109
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Main Street East
Looking down Main Street West
Main Street West
Main Street West
Rangitikei Street
Rangitikei Street
Rangitikei Street and The Square Insection
Rangitikei Street
The Square, Palmerston North
The Square during Construction of the Civic Centre
Corner of Rangitikei Street and The Square
C M Ross Building, The Square

Creation

Created By
Place
Main Street, Palmerston North
Date
1969

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Main Street East
Looking down Main Street West
Main Street West
Main Street West
Rangitikei Street
Rangitikei Street
Rangitikei Street and The Square Insection
Rangitikei Street
The Square, Palmerston North
The Square during Construction of the Civic Centre
Corner of Rangitikei Street and The Square
C M Ross Building, The Square

User comments