The fountain was erected to commemorate the coronation of King Edward VII in August 1902. It also commemorates the 25th anniversary of the establishment of the Borough of Palmerston North, and the reaching of city status in 1930. It was originally placed in the centre of The Square, as seen here, but was moved in 1925 to make way for the War Memorial. It was relocated to the middle of the pond near the Coleman Mall corner of The Square, where it remained until it was again moved, close to the corner of The Square and Broadway in 2005.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- King Edward VII Memorial Fountain, The Square
- Held In