Skip to Content

Designated Class 'A', this locomotive was one of three small tank locomotives built by the Lion Foundry and fitted with outside Stephenson link motion. The 'Skunk' and the 'Wallaby' were the first railway locomotives to run a scheduled service between Palmerston North and Foxton from 1876, replacing a horse dawn tram service. The Skunk later worked on the line between Palmerston North and Wanganui, opened in 1878, and was relegated to shunting and ballast duties before going to Greymouth for harbour construction work. From left: (possibly) Henry Stevens; George Hughes (formerly a driver on the Tramway, became a fireman on the first steam trains to Palmerston North, left the railways about 1888).

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2007N_R1_EPN_0284
Title
Railway engine "The Skunk", Palmerston North
Held In
Coolstore
Relation
Early Locomotives
Date
1876

Related items

Ashhurst to Palmerston North passenger coach
Upper Manawatu Gorge bridge and settlement
Residence of Charles Dahl, Duke Street
Railway Station, The Square
Railway Station, Main Street
Cage on wire rope crossing the Manawatu Gorge
Palmerston North Railway Station, centre of The Square
Railway Station, The Square
Early Palmerston North car and passengers
Old Identities of Palmerston North
Artillery display by Army Volunteers
Dawick's Buffett, Rangitikei Street

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
early palmerston north,
photographs,
transport,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Ashhurst to Palmerston North passenger coach
Upper Manawatu Gorge bridge and settlement
Residence of Charles Dahl, Duke Street
Railway Station, The Square
Railway Station, Main Street
Cage on wire rope crossing the Manawatu Gorge
Palmerston North Railway Station, centre of The Square
Railway Station, The Square
Early Palmerston North car and passengers
Old Identities of Palmerston North
Artillery display by Army Volunteers
Dawick's Buffett, Rangitikei Street