Skip to Content

The Probation office was housed in Main Street 1957 – 1976. The house was originally built c1912 as a Police home, for the use of the Senior Sergeant in Charge of the Palmerston North Police Station. One of the first officers to live in the house was Senior Sergeant E W Whitehouse and the last was Sergeant Leo Hansen. The house, which was beside the courthouse, was vacated in 1976 when the office moved to new premises in Princess Street.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2008N_Bg10_BUI_1820
Title
Palmerston North Probation Office, 450 Main Street
Relation
Public Photograph Collection
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Police Station, Church Street, Palmerston North
Police Station, Church Street, Palmerston North
Public Trust Office interior, Main Street
Public Trust Office, Main Street
Police Station, Church Street, Palmerston North
Construction of the Manawatu Youth Centre, Linton
Palmerston North Probation Office, 450 Main Street
Public Trust Office,
Electricity Department workshops, Main Street
Public Works Department, Cook Street
Police Station, Church Street, Palmerston North
Police Station, Church Street, Palmerston North

Creation

Created By
Place
450 Main Street, Palmerston North
Date
May 20, 1976

Object rights

Credit Line
Manawatu Evening Standard

Taxonomy

Tags
buildings,
government,
photographs,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Police Station, Church Street, Palmerston North
Police Station, Church Street, Palmerston North
Public Trust Office interior, Main Street
Public Trust Office, Main Street
Police Station, Church Street, Palmerston North
Construction of the Manawatu Youth Centre, Linton
Palmerston North Probation Office, 450 Main Street
Public Trust Office,
Electricity Department workshops, Main Street
Public Works Department, Cook Street
Police Station, Church Street, Palmerston North
Police Station, Church Street, Palmerston North

User comments