Skip to Content

More Info →Girls Pose near Cannon

This image is from a series of postcards intended for tourists around the 1920s. Cannons were purchased by the Government in 1879 and installed at Fort Ngahauranga overlooking Port Nicholson, Wellington Harbour. The never fired a shot in anger and were obsolete by 1900. Two of these cannons were acquired by the Palmerston North Borough Council in 1909 for display in the Square to the delight of many children. By 1939, the Council decided the cannons had outlived their usefulness and sold them to a scrap dealer who cut up the steel undercarriages and buried the barrels in an Albert Street property. See Research File A175/72/2 in the Ian Matheson City Archives, City Library for more information.

Identification

Object type
Postcard
Digitisation ID
2014N_Sq389_008723
Title
Girls Pose near Cannon
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 389
Format
Postcard
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Girls Pose near Cannon
Two Boys on One of the Cannons in The Square
Book Chain Across The Square
Children at the Lakelet in the Square
Band Rotunda in the Square
The Lakelet and Cannon
One of the Cannons in the Square
A Child Plays in the Fountain
Scenes from Palmeston North, c1936
Fairbrother Children aboard 'Blackjack'
Children on the Cannon in the Square
Aokautere Cubs

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North
Date
1920 to 1930

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Girls Pose near Cannon
Two Boys on One of the Cannons in The Square
Book Chain Across The Square
Children at the Lakelet in the Square
Band Rotunda in the Square
The Lakelet and Cannon
One of the Cannons in the Square
A Child Plays in the Fountain
Scenes from Palmeston North, c1936
Fairbrother Children aboard 'Blackjack'
Children on the Cannon in the Square
Aokautere Cubs

User comments