Skip to Content

More Info →The Lakelet and Cannon

Cannons were purchased by the Government in 1879 and installed at Fort Ngahauranga overlooking Port Nicholson, Wellington Harbour. The never fired a shot in anger and were obsolete by 1900. Two of these cannons were acquired by the Palmerston North Borough Council in 1909 for display in the Square to the delight of many children. By 1939, the Council decided the cannons had outlived their usefulness and sold them to a scrap dealer who cut up the steel undercarriages and buried the barrels in an Albert Street property. See Research File A175/72/2 in the Ian Matheson City Archives, City Library for more information.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014N_Sq252_008663
Title
The Lakelet and Cannon
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 252
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

The Lakelet and Cannon
Andrews Collection: Duck Pond, The Square
Two Boys on One of the Cannons in The Square
Lakelet and Cannon in the Square
Campbell Street School Students with Snowman, The Square
Band Rotunda in the Square
Andrews Collection: Marjorie and Her Doll
Andrews Collection: The Doll's Tea Party at Home
All Saints Church Viewed from The Lakelet
Three sons of the Strang family at "Woodhey"
Lakelet in The Square
View of The Square from the Second Floor of the Grand Hotel

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1920 to circa 1929

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

The Lakelet and Cannon
Andrews Collection: Duck Pond, The Square
Two Boys on One of the Cannons in The Square
Lakelet and Cannon in the Square
Campbell Street School Students with Snowman, The Square
Band Rotunda in the Square
Andrews Collection: Marjorie and Her Doll
Andrews Collection: The Doll's Tea Party at Home
All Saints Church Viewed from The Lakelet
Three sons of the Strang family at "Woodhey"
Lakelet in The Square
View of The Square from the Second Floor of the Grand Hotel

User comments