This three-storey brick and reinforced concrete building was designed by L.G. West & Son. It was erected in 1927 for John Lowbridge Bennett, at a cost of £13,725, by F. Needham Ltd. J.L. Bennett either owned or had a financial interest in the hotel until 1960, and then his son did until the hotel was sold in 1963.
Changes were made to the building’s façade over the years. Most notable are the comings and goings of the decoration at either end of the upper façade. The present arched decorations are recent additions. One of its most significant heritage features is its old cage lift that dates to 1927. Conservation architect, Ian Bowman described the building as being consistent with L.G. West & Son’s “free-ranging use of architectural designs.” In this case it loosely uses the Spanish Mission style with overhanging eaves, supported on brackets, Marseille tile roofing, and gables, but with a sense of Neo-Georgian in symmetry and fenestration.