This image from around 1906 shows pedestrians walking on the roads through the square and railway workers working on the train tracks that once ran through the Square. The buildings, from left, are: The Occidental Hotel (built 1887) was extended when being rebuilt after it was destroyed by a fire in 1891. The extensions can be seen here. It burnt down again in 1927; the Bank of New Zealand was first built in 1878 as a wooden structure - the brick building shown here was built in 1902. This photograph shows it before renovations took place in 1909; The building beside All Saints Church is the Municipal Chambers (now Square Edge). The Council occupied the building from 1900-1945.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Colour Postcard of Railway Workers in the Square
- Held In