Skip to Content

More Info →Meteor Picture Theatre, The Square

The Meteor movie theatre was built by Maurice Millar of Millar and Giorgi, a menswear store. It was opened in the era of the 'talkies', in September 1937, on the eastern side of The Square. It had a capacity of 940 and was considered one of the most up to date in the country. the Meteor was closed in 1963.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014N_Sq286_008683
Title
Meteor Picture Theatre, The Square
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 286
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Meteor Picture Theatre, The Square
The Square: Church Street to Broadway
Meteor Picture Theatre, The Square
Odeon Movie Theatre, George Street
The Observatory in The Square
Coleman Mall
View of Coleman Place, c 1923
Coleman Place, c 1923
View of Coleman Place, c 1923
Projector at the Regent Theatre
Projector at the Regent Theatre
Broadway Avenue

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North
Date
circa 1940

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Meteor Picture Theatre, The Square
The Square: Church Street to Broadway
Meteor Picture Theatre, The Square
Odeon Movie Theatre, George Street
The Observatory in The Square
Coleman Mall
View of Coleman Place, c 1923
Coleman Place, c 1923
View of Coleman Place, c 1923
Projector at the Regent Theatre
Projector at the Regent Theatre
Broadway Avenue

User comments