The gun in the Square was placed there in May 1909. The Lakelet built in October 1909 is not in this photograph. The Grand Hotel was built in 1906 and the Daily Times newspaper was at this site from 1890s to 1913. The Daily Times newspaper on Church Street moved into their site between 1903 and 1910. The Council Chambers (now Square Edge) took up residence in the old Colonial Bank (next to All Saints Church) in 1900. The band rotunda in the centre of the postcard was first built in 1899 and replaced with a larger one in 1907. It was later relocated to the Victoria Esplanade, but demolished in 1950s.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Looking Across the Square from the corner of Broadway
- Held In