“Craiglockhart” was constructed in 1889, and was the residence of Charles John Monro and his family. It stood on the edge of the Fitzherbert Terrace, on the western side of Riverbank Road. In the 1940s the house was bought by Massey Agricultural College and converted into a hostel for women students, known as Moginie House. Today it is still a student hostel but the name has reverted to 'Craiglockhart'. Charles Monro (1851-1933) is known as the founder of rugby in New Zealand, and was a businessman in Palmerston North. Pictured from left: Mary; John (known as Jack); David; C J Monro; Linda; Hector (Peter); Mrs C J Monro and “Ben” the dog.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Monro Family at Craiglockhart
- Held In