This brick building was erected - in two stages - for George Lelliott Snelling. He had taken over an existing butchery business in 1920. The first stage of Snelling’s rebuild was the butcher’s shop. The work was completed in 1928 with the construction of the other three shops. While the builder was N.M. McLean, the architect is unknown. However, these shops are very similar to those on the corner of Main and David Streets – and L G West & Son designed them in 1922.
George Snelling died in 1946; however, his family owned the property until 1987. The small butcher’s shop is now Harris Meat Market.
The western-most shop was a hairdresser until about 1987, while the next shop has been a dairy. In about 1988, these two shops were combined as a fish supply shop. Meanwhile, the shop next to the butcher shop was a fruit shop from the 1930s.