Skip to Content

More Info →Club Hotel, Church Street east

The Club Hotel was also known as Tuckers Club Hotel after Mr Tucker took over the hotel in 1900. It was situated opposite the eastern corner of The Square and Church Street in Palmerston North. The hotel had sixty bedrooms and was built on two acres of land laid out in gardens and lawns for the use of guests. It consisted of a wooden building dating from 1882 (with additions) and a brick building, built 1905, on the left. The hotel continued to operate until 1977 when the wooden buildings were demolished to make way for the then PDC department store developments. The 1905 building is on the PNCC Heritage Inventory and has since been used by various retailers. It is currently the home of 'Pumpkin Patch' (2007)

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2007N_Ho37_BUI_0239
Title
Club Hotel, Church Street east
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Club Hotel, Church Street east
Empire Hotel, corner of Princess and Main Streets
Post Office Hotel, Foxton
Hotel Midland, Coleman Mall
Carlton Hotel, Cuba Street
Taverners Arms, Main Street
Second Commercial Hotel, corner of The Square and Main Street West
Manawatu Hotel, Foxton
Foxton Family Hotel
Whytes Hotel, Foxton
Grand Hotel, corner of The Square and Church Street
Sherwood Motor Inn, Featherston Street

Creation

Created By
Place
Church Street, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1937

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Club Hotel, Church Street east
Empire Hotel, corner of Princess and Main Streets
Post Office Hotel, Foxton
Hotel Midland, Coleman Mall
Carlton Hotel, Cuba Street
Taverners Arms, Main Street
Second Commercial Hotel, corner of The Square and Main Street West
Manawatu Hotel, Foxton
Foxton Family Hotel
Whytes Hotel, Foxton
Grand Hotel, corner of The Square and Church Street
Sherwood Motor Inn, Featherston Street

User comments