The Grand hotel was constructed in 1906, with the original plans showing 66 bedrooms, 2 conservatories, one shop facing the square and a large dining room. It was designed by NZ architect Mr Maddison and built by Mr James Trevor (Trevor Bros). The tower was later removed as an earthquake risk. The Duke and Duchess of York stayed during their 1927 tour of NZ as did Queen Elizabeth II during her 1952 tour. It is now largely used as business offices, with a bar and cafe on the Ground Floor. It is listed in category 2 of the New Zealand Historic Places Trust register because of its historic and community significance.
- Created By
- E Creamer
- Corner of The Square and Church Street, Palmerston North
- Credit Line
- Palmerston North City Library