Skip to Content

The Public Trust was established in 1872. In Palmerston North the Public Trust grew rapidly earning a permanent branch office in 1919; by 1937 it had a staff of fifty under the control of Mr C Freyberg, District Public Trustee.
The building shown here was opened in 1922; in later years many extensions were required, including a partial second floor being added and extensive improvements on the ground floor completed around 1936. The building was demolished in August/September of 1978 to make way for the new courthouse building.
See also ; ‘Swamp to City’ pg 138.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Bg30_009637
Title
Demolition of Public Trust Office, 470 Main Street
Relation
Public Collection Bg 30
Format
B&W print
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Demolition of Public Trust Office, 470 Main Street
Public Trust Office, 470 Main Street
Cafe De Paris Inn Demolition
Cafe De Paris Inn Demolition
Public Trust office, 470 Main Street
Manawatū Flour Mills 2
Manawatū Flour Mills 3
Chimneys from Demolished House Left Standing
Manawatu Motor Upholsterers - Wrecked Building
Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Manawatū Flour Mills 10
Manawatū Flour Mills 8

Creation

Created By
Place
470 Main Street, Palmerston North
Date
1978

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Tags
demolition,
main street,
public trust office,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Demolition of Public Trust Office, 470 Main Street
Public Trust Office, 470 Main Street
Cafe De Paris Inn Demolition
Cafe De Paris Inn Demolition
Public Trust office, 470 Main Street
Manawatū Flour Mills 2
Manawatū Flour Mills 3
Chimneys from Demolished House Left Standing
Manawatu Motor Upholsterers - Wrecked Building
Saint Josephs Convent School Prior to Demolition, Carroll Street and Fitchett Street
Manawatū Flour Mills 10
Manawatū Flour Mills 8

User comments