Skip to Content

More Info →Public Trust Office, 470 Main Street

The Public Trust was established in 1872. In Palmerston North the Public Trust grew rapidly earning a permanent branch office in 1919; by 1937 it had a staff of fifty under the control of Mr C Freyberg, District Public Trustee.
The building shown here was opened in 1922; in later years many extensions were required, including a partial second floor being added and extensive improvements on the ground floor completed around 1936. The building was demolished in August/September of 1978 to make way for the new courthouse building.
See also ; ‘Swamp to City’ pg 138.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Bg13_009636
Title
Public Trust Office, 470 Main Street
Relation
Public Collection Bg 13
Format
B&W print
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Demolition of Public Trust Office, 470 Main Street
Public Trust Office, 470 Main Street
Public Trust office, 470 Main Street
Palmerston North from G.P.O. Tower
Divine Remains Exhibition by David Lupton, 2017.
Main Street, early 1900s
Emma Belk, signatory to 1893 suffrage petition
Emma and James Duncan Belk, early settlers in Feilding
Emma Belk, Signatory to 1893 Suffrage Petition
Warnock Kelly and Adkin
Colour Postcard of Crowds Walking Down Main Street West
Main Street East looking towards Terrace End

Creation

Created By
Place
Main Street, Palmerston North
Date
1950

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Demolition of Public Trust Office, 470 Main Street
Public Trust Office, 470 Main Street
Public Trust office, 470 Main Street
Palmerston North from G.P.O. Tower
Divine Remains Exhibition by David Lupton, 2017.
Main Street, early 1900s
Emma Belk, signatory to 1893 suffrage petition
Emma and James Duncan Belk, early settlers in Feilding
Emma Belk, Signatory to 1893 Suffrage Petition
Warnock Kelly and Adkin
Colour Postcard of Crowds Walking Down Main Street West
Main Street East looking towards Terrace End

User comments