Built in 1906, the Post Office on the corner of The Square and Main Street was Palmerston North’s fourth. It was built on the same site as its predecessor, which operated out of a small wooden building. In 1988, when Telecom and Postbank became separate entities, the building ceased to be the Post Office. It currently operates as a restaurant and bar. Bennetts, visible to the left of the Post Office, moved to Broadway Avenue (then Broad Street) in 1918. Bennetts was purchased by Whitcoulls Group in 1993 and was subsequently operated under Whitcoulls brand.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Palmerston North Square Gardens and Post Office
- Held In