In this photograph are members of the Borough Council and their wives atop the newly opened Lower Turitea Dam. The newly built Turitea Dam was also officially declared open by the Mayoress, who cut the ribbon. After inspecting the dam the party were given afternoon tea.
In July 1888, the Palmerston North Borough Council accepted a scheme to bring water from the Tiritea Stream to the city at a cost of £18,350. The contractors were Coates and Metcalf of Hamilton. The dam was situated seven miles east of Palmerston North and the water was piped first to a reservoir on Tiritea Hill and then to the city over the Fitzherbert Bridge. A second dam was constructed in 1906-1907 and then was raised in height and re-opened on 17th February 1913, submerging the original dam.The Upper Turitea Dam was constructed in 1957.
(See also 2015P_pic15_006178)
(See also The Birth of Palmerston North, p 92.)