Skip to Content

More Info →2nd Turitea Dam Opening Day

In this photograph, we see the members of the Borough Council and their wives atop the newly opened Turitea Dam. The newly built Turitea Dam was also officially declared open by the Mayoress, who cut the ribbon. After inspecting the dam the party were given afternoon tea. See also The Birth of Palmerston North, p 92. In July 1888, the Palmerston North Borough Council accepted a scheme to bring water from the Tiritea Stream to the city at a cost of £18,350. The contractors were Coates and Metcalf of Hamilton. The dam was situated seven miles east of Palmerston North and the water was piped first to a reservoir on Tiritea Hill and then to the city over the Fitzherbert Bridge. A second dam was constructed in 1906-1907 and then was raised in height and re-opened on 17th February 1913, submerging the original dam. The present dam was constructed in 1957. See also 2015P_pic15_006178

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014N_W4_009155
Title
2nd Turitea Dam Opening Day
Relation
Public Photograph Collection W 4
Format
B&W print
Held In
Coolstore
License
no_known_restrictions

Related items

2nd Turitea Dam Opening Day
Lower Turitea Dam
Opening of the Enlarged Turitea Dam
Turitea Dam, Opening Day Picnic
Raising the Barrier at Turitea Dam
Construction of Second Turitea Dam
Second Turitea Dam
Original Turitea Dam
First Turitea Dam
First Turitea Dam
Second Turitea Dam Opening Day
Second Turitea Dam

Creation

Created By
Place
Turitea, Palmerston North
Date
February 17, 1913

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

2nd Turitea Dam Opening Day
Lower Turitea Dam
Opening of the Enlarged Turitea Dam
Turitea Dam, Opening Day Picnic
Raising the Barrier at Turitea Dam
Construction of Second Turitea Dam
Second Turitea Dam
Original Turitea Dam
First Turitea Dam
First Turitea Dam
Second Turitea Dam Opening Day
Second Turitea Dam

User comments