Designed by Ernst West in April 1928, this building was built by Mr A. Stenberg, at a cost of £1,957, on land gifted by PN City Council. Neo-Georgian in style, its design drew inspiration from Greek and Roman architecture. The use of brick is also a feature of this style.
The NZ Plunket Society’s Palmerston North sub-branch was formed in 1917. The building soon proved a great attraction to mothers and to people from other centres. In 1966, Plunket moved to new premises in Cuba Street. The building was then sold to the Manawatu Polytechnic, now UCOL. The building – Block 11 - was named after Agnes Kearns MBE, a trained midwife and registered nurse who was based in this building, being charge nurse to the local Plunket Society for 21 year ending in 1942. The building served as UCOL’s health centre until closed in late 2011 due to earthquake risk concerns.