Skip to Content

More Info →Part of the Square, Palmerston North

In the foreground can be seen the Peeti Te Awe Awe statue. Peeti Te Awe Awe (c1820-1884) was a chief of the Rangitāne tribe, and was involved with negotiations and the sale of Maori Land for the opening up of the Manawatu for pakeha settlement. This marble statue was installed in The Square in 1907. The buildings in this photograph are, from left: The Club Hotel; The P.D.C. (built in 1930, current location of the Plaza shopping centre); Pegden's furniture shop; Manawatu Oroua Electricity Board HQ; Foote Brothers (drapers); The Strand Building.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014N_Sq230_008647
Title
Part of the Square, Palmerston North
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 230
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Looking across The Square to Church Street
The Square - Corners of Church Street East and Main Street East
PDC department store, The Square
Part of the Square, Palmerston North
View of The Square from Hopwood Clock Tower - Church Street East
Premier Department Company display window
Looking Towards Church Street and The Plaza
A View of The Square from the Grand Hotel
Construction of the Premier Drapery Co. Ltd, The Square
A View of Te Marae o Hine / The Square
Centennial Book of Views around Palmerston North, 1870s-1970s
PDC Building

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
1956

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Looking across The Square to Church Street
The Square - Corners of Church Street East and Main Street East
PDC department store, The Square
Part of the Square, Palmerston North
View of The Square from Hopwood Clock Tower - Church Street East
Premier Department Company display window
Looking Towards Church Street and The Plaza
A View of The Square from the Grand Hotel
Construction of the Premier Drapery Co. Ltd, The Square
A View of Te Marae o Hine / The Square
Centennial Book of Views around Palmerston North, 1870s-1970s
PDC Building

User comments