This photograph shows an interesting perspective of Church Street East and The Lakelet. On the corner of Fitzherbert Avenue and The Square is the Public Library. This building was the fourth public library in Palmerston North and was purpose built by the PNCC in 1928. The Library was originally housed upstairs and offices and shops occupied the ground floor, but in later years it expanded into some areas downstairs until a new library was built in 1965. The building has since been demolished.