The fountains were presented to Palmerston North in memory of her son Edmund "Laurie" Holland in December, 1966. This fountain is part of the Lakelet - opened in 1909. It is sometimes referred to as the "Butterfly Pond", due to it being shaped like a butterfly when viewed from above. In 1953, Arthur Hopwood gifted the city of Palmerston North £10,000 to build a new tower in The Square to hold a clock and chimes. It was completed in 1957. The Clock Tower has experienced a number of changes including the removal of the original sound shell at the base of the tower in the early 1990s and the addition of a cross (both features are visible in this image). During 2007 the Clock Tower was refurbished and it is now topped with a lantern style cross.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Colour Photograph of the Lakelet and Clock Tower
- Held In