The Commercial Hotel on the corner of Main Street West and the Square was first built in 1881, the photograph here shows this first building. It is described in the Cyclopedia of New Zealand Vol 1, p 1183 with a verandah and balcony. It burnt down in 1900. The present hotel was built in 1935. On the far left of the photograph is James Linton's land office. It was a two story wood building without a verandah built in 1881. It was on the site formerly occupied by the Coles building (88 The Square). Linton was also Mayor of Palmerston North. The railway station and engine shed remained in the Square until 1889, it was then moved to Main Street West.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Southwest Corner of the Square
- Held In