The United Manawatu Lodge 1721 E.C. (English Constitution) was founded in 1877, the first in Manawatu. This was the Lodge’s second site, and a wooden lodge was consecrated there in October 1892. The 1892 building was sold for removal in the 1920s, so that this building could take its place.
Ernst West, a prominent freemason, was commissioned to design this building. The contractors were Messrs Anderson & Williamson and the building cost £4,000. It was consecrated on 24 July 1931. The brick building’s sandstone-coloured facade was described as appearing “massive.” Two huge pillars flanked the doorway, with a column containing 100 carved pomegranates on each side. There are two panels of hieroglyphics on the front porch.
By the late 1980s it was too expensive to maintain. It was therefore sold in 1988, and after various uses, it became the Aqaba restaurant in 1995.