The Salvation Army was established in Palmerston North in 1883. They used various sites as their barracks until they purchased this land on Broadway, that stretched back to King Street, and built a citadel (meeting hall). It was designed by W Gray Young of Wellington and, along with a ‘junior hall’ (see 114 King Street), was opened in 1922. Built in brick, the citadel was designed to accommodate 350 people.
Both buildings were used by the Salvation Army until 1982 by which time they had outgrown their congregation. When sold in 1983 it was reported that the Citadel stood eight feet from the front boundary, with the centrally placed front doors being flanked by two Ionic columns. Above the door were gallery windows, which in turn were topped by a small pediment and vase (both since gone). The building was then turned into a shop.