Skip to Content

More Info →Lakelet in The Square

This photograph shows the corner of Church Street West and The Square. The buildings are: The Evening Standard Building (built 1937, demolished 1974 - new premises were constructed that same year), Poulsen's Radio Service and Home Cookery Restaurant (now part of the new Manawatu Evening Standard building), the Council Chambers (built 1944-1945, now Square Edge) and All Saints Church (this brick structure was built 1914 to replace an earlier wooden church). The Lakelet was constructed in October 1909. It was the main feature of the last quadrant of The Square to be developed by the Beautifying Society. James Nash, Mayor of Palmerston North 1908-1923, opened the Lakelet before a crowd on 27 October 1909. The Lakelet is shaped as a butterfly, with the wings being bisected by a bridge as its body. It is also referred to as the Butterfly Lake.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014P_Sq395_008973
Title
Lakelet in The Square
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 395
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Lakelet in The Square
Grand Hotel, corner of The Square and Church Street
Cannon in The Square
Cannon in The Square
Pond and Grand Hotel
Grand Hotel building, corner of The Square and Church Street
All Saints Church
View of The Square from Hopwood Clock Tower - Church Street West
The Square
The Square Decorated for Royal Visit
All Saints Church
Grand Hotel, Palmerston North

Creation

Created By
Place
Palmerston North
Date
1956

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Lakelet in The Square
Grand Hotel, corner of The Square and Church Street
Cannon in The Square
Cannon in The Square
Pond and Grand Hotel
Grand Hotel building, corner of The Square and Church Street
All Saints Church
View of The Square from Hopwood Clock Tower - Church Street West
The Square
The Square Decorated for Royal Visit
All Saints Church
Grand Hotel, Palmerston North

User comments