This fountain is in western quadrant - this photograph shows it before the Coronation monument for Edward VII was added on top (1925). The three-storied brick Clarendon Hotel was constructed in 1904, after fire had destroyed the earlier wooden hotel. Mr H Baker was the Proprietor. In 1927 the building was converted into shops and offices, and the top-storey of the building was removed after the 1931 Napier earthquake. It subsequently became the Bank of New Zealand. This building is now the Commercial Union and Westside Buildings that contains @ The Hub (a student hostel) and the Rangitikei Convenience Store.