Skip to Content

More Info →Lakelet and Square Gardens

This photograph looks across the lakelet to All Saints Church, which was built in 1914-1915. The body of water visible in the foreground is the Butterfly Lakelet, which was constructed in October 1909. It was the main feature of the last quadrant of The Square to be developed by the then Beautifying Society. It is shaped as a butterfly, with the wings being bisected by a bridge as its body. The cannon (partially visible on right) was one of two installed in The Square in 1909. The guns were originally purchased by the Government in 1879 and installed at Fort Ngahauranga overlooking Port Nicholson, Wellington Harbour. They never fired a shot and were obsolete by 1900, when two were acquired by the Palmerston North Borough Council for display in the Square. By 1939, the Council decided the cannons had outlived their usefulness and sold them to a scrap dealer.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014N_Sq362_008714
Title
Lakelet and Square Gardens
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 362
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Lakelet and Square Gardens
Looking Across the Lakelet towards the Council Chambers
"In The Square, Palmerston North"
Gardens in the Square
Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet in The Square
Square Gardens and The Lakelet
All Saints Church, Church Street
All Saints Church Viewed from The Lakelet
The Lakelet, The Square
Lakelet and Observatory
Square Gardens and The Lakelet

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
1940

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Lakelet and Square Gardens
Looking Across the Lakelet towards the Council Chambers
"In The Square, Palmerston North"
Gardens in the Square
Lakelet in The Square
Lakelet in The Square
Square Gardens and The Lakelet
All Saints Church, Church Street
All Saints Church Viewed from The Lakelet
The Lakelet, The Square
Lakelet and Observatory
Square Gardens and The Lakelet

User comments