Skip to Content

More Info →The Square gardens

The Square was laid out as a reserve in the original plans for the town of Palmerston North. In the early 1900s the Beautifying Society laid out the first formal gardens, culminating in the lakelet, sometimes referred to as the Butterfly Lake due to its shape, which opened in 1909. The bridge that bisects the lakelet is the fourth built, and the fountains were added in 1960. Beyond can be seen the Hopwood Clock Tower, completed in 1957.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2010BD_IMCA-DigitalMaster_004453
Title
The Square gardens
Relation
Local History Week 2010 Photograph Collection
Held In
IMCA Digital Archive

Related items

The Square gardens
The Square gardens
View of Church Street from Square Gardens (2)
View of Church Street from Square Gardens (4)
Looking Across the Lakelet towards the Council Chambers
View of The Square from the Second Floor of the Grand Hotel
The Lakelet in The Square
"Dancing Ladies of the Night."
Lakelet, The Square
Square Gardens and The Lakelet
Bicycling Through The Square
A View of the Square in the 1970s

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
November 3, 2010

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

The Square gardens
The Square gardens
View of Church Street from Square Gardens (2)
View of Church Street from Square Gardens (4)
Looking Across the Lakelet towards the Council Chambers
View of The Square from the Second Floor of the Grand Hotel
The Lakelet in The Square
"Dancing Ladies of the Night."
Lakelet, The Square
Square Gardens and The Lakelet
Bicycling Through The Square
A View of the Square in the 1970s

User comments