The King Edward VII Coronation Memorial Fountain, also known as the Coronation Monument was built in 1902 to mark the coronation of Edward VII. In 1925, it was combined with another feature of The Square, the concrete fish pond. The monument was moved in 2005 to the corner of The Square nearest to Broadway Avenue.
This image comes from a series of slides taken around Palmerston North in the late 1950s. Many show scenes in The Victoria Esplanade Gardens, but other areas and events around the city are also represented.