The building on the far left is the Star Hotel (Henley & Creaven proprietors), situated on the corner of Church Street West (on the site now occupied by the Grand Beer Cafe - formerly the Grand Hotel). This hotel was subsequently renamed the Provincial Hotel and was destroyed by a fire in 1969. The other buildings in the photograph are (from left): The Manawatu Daily Evening Times (later the home of R & E Tingey Ltd, now occupied by several shops), J. Weight & Co. (merchants), W Park (bookseller), R Leary (chemist), J Grace & Co. (music shop), and Warnock, Kelly & Adkin (drapers). The old wooden Commercial Hotel (erected 1881, destroyed by fire 1900) can be seen in the distance, standing on the site of the present Commercial Hotel. The corner of the Square and Coleman Place can be seen in the distance (far right, next to the current home of the City Library and Commmunity Services building).
- Momo rauemi
- Tautuhi matihiko
- Southwest Corner of the Square
- E puritia ana ki