This photograph shows the section of the Square from the corner of Rangitikei Street to the beginning of Coleman Place. Included in the Clarendon Hotel on the corner; Lyon's Hairdresser, Tobacconist and Billiard Room; W Knox Boot Depot; J Williams Beehive Store; Boon and Cole Store and Bakery; Law Chambers; unidentified "manufacturers and confectioners" store; the Theatre Royal; unidentified building; the City Butchers; a "Working Men's Club"; and the fire station tower. The Clarendon Hotel was building in 1874. The owner and licensee was Mr James Carroll. Fire destroyed the first Clarendon Hotel on January 28, 1904. At the time the council's water supply was inadequate and shut off at night to conserve water. As a result, when the fire occurred there was no water with which to fight the blaze and a whole row of shops was lost.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Rangitikei Street to Coleman Place
- Held In