Skip to Content

The Puketotara Estate, as identified by the name on the bales, was located on the western bank of the Oroua River in the vicinity of its junction with the Manawatu River. During the 1890s, it was owned by the Pascal Brothers, three well-known Frenchmen. The man second from left may be Mr William Henry Coley of Foxton or Harry Simpson. An old fashioned wool press and a rudimentary hut can be seen behind the shearers.

Identification

Object type
Image
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sf 2
Date
circa 1890
Digitisation ID
2014N_Sf2_008022
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Creating Trenches for 24" Sewer Across Swamp
Laying 24" Sewer Across Swamp
Creating Trenches for 24" Sewer Across Swamp
Workmen resting when laying a gas main, Russell Street
Laying 24" Sewer Across Swamp
Workers in Arapeti Dam, No 2 Tunnel, Mangahao Electric Power Scheme
Feilding Saleyards
Feilding Saleyards
Feilding Saleyards
Wagon-load of Wool, Matsubara, Bunnythorpe
The "Breaking Down Bench" at Climo and Eggers Sawmill, Waituna West
Employees of Climo and Eggers Sawmill, Waituna West

Creation

Created By
Place
Manawatu

Object rights

Taxonomy

Tags
beard,
industry,
labour,
photographs,
pipe,
shears,
shed,
sheep,
unidentified,
wool,
work,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Creating Trenches for 24" Sewer Across Swamp
Laying 24" Sewer Across Swamp
Creating Trenches for 24" Sewer Across Swamp
Workmen resting when laying a gas main, Russell Street
Laying 24" Sewer Across Swamp
Workers in Arapeti Dam, No 2 Tunnel, Mangahao Electric Power Scheme
Feilding Saleyards
Feilding Saleyards
Feilding Saleyards
Wagon-load of Wool, Matsubara, Bunnythorpe
The "Breaking Down Bench" at Climo and Eggers Sawmill, Waituna West
Employees of Climo and Eggers Sawmill, Waituna West