Skip to Content

This building was constructed as the Colonial Bank in c1892. It was used as a Public Library 1900-1905 and then converted into the administration building of the Palmerston North Borough Council. It was increased in 1925 by the addition of a two storey structure at the rear. In 1945 this original front portion was demolished and replaced by a new administration building, today known as Square Edge, attached to the 1925 addition at the back. Council Staff from left. On the steps: J R Hughes; G S Leeder; J R Hardie; Major J M Rose; R Jordan; E Persson. Front Row: M Cohen ex Mayor; Misses Milverton, Blackmore, Bryce, R H Crozier.

Identification

Object type
Image
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Bm 34
Date
1921
Digitisation ID
2009N_Bm34_BUI_2654
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Palmerston North Public Library and All Saints Church, Church Street
Abattoir steam engine and generator
Opera House, Church Street
Municipal Opera House, Church Street
Municipal Opera House, Church Street
Municipal Opera House, Church Street
Opera House and St Andrews Church, Church Street
Opera House and St Andrews Church, Church Street
Municipal Opera House, Church Street
Municipal Opera House, Church Street
Municipal Opera House, Church Street
Council Chamber, The Square

Taxonomy

Tags
building,
buildings,
palmerston north city council,
photographs,
pnbc,
pncc,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Palmerston North Public Library and All Saints Church, Church Street
Abattoir steam engine and generator
Opera House, Church Street
Municipal Opera House, Church Street
Municipal Opera House, Church Street
Municipal Opera House, Church Street
Opera House and St Andrews Church, Church Street
Opera House and St Andrews Church, Church Street
Municipal Opera House, Church Street
Municipal Opera House, Church Street
Municipal Opera House, Church Street
Council Chamber, The Square