The Palmerston North abbatoir was opened in Maxwells Line in 1906, and purchased by the Palmerston North Borough Council in 1917. It remained in operation until 1969 when it was demolished. This is a compound steam engine driving a 4000 volt generator which provided power for the waste cooker and sundry machinery. It was housed in the engine room alongside the boiler house. The generator was in operation before the Mangahao power station was opened.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Abattoir steam engine and generator
- Held In