Skip to Content

More Info →The Original Band Rotunda

This postcard of the Band Rotunda in The Square was possibly taken to mark the opening of the Post Office (corner of Main Street East and The Square). Note the flags and crowds of people. The Band Rotunda featured here was the first of two built in The Square. Constructed in 1899, this incarnation was shifted to the Victoria Esplanade in 1907. A second larger band rotunda was then built. It was demolished in 1956 to make way for the Hopwood Clock Tower.

Identification

Object type
Postcard
Digitisation ID
2014P_Sq17_008832
Title
The Original Band Rotunda
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 17
Format
Postcard
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

The Original Band Rotunda
Band Rotunda in the Square
Lakelet in The Square
Colour Postcard of The Square
Band Rotunda in the Square
Postcard of The Square
Cannon and Lakelet in The Square
Band Rotunda in The Square
Railway line running through The Square
Te Marae o Hine / The Square
Duke and Duchess of York official welcome
Alf Taylor in front of the band rotunda

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
1906?

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

The Original Band Rotunda
Band Rotunda in the Square
Lakelet in The Square
Colour Postcard of The Square
Band Rotunda in the Square
Postcard of The Square
Cannon and Lakelet in The Square
Band Rotunda in The Square
Railway line running through The Square
Te Marae o Hine / The Square
Duke and Duchess of York official welcome
Alf Taylor in front of the band rotunda

User comments