Skip to Content

The Hokowhitu Lagoon is one of the original ox bow lagoons formed from the Manawatū River. It is sometimes called the Centennial Lagoon, named for New Zealand's 'centennial' celebrations in 1940. Across the river can be seen the then Palmerston North Teacher's College campus.

The photograph was taken by Alf and Merlyn Drew, to test equipment for their business, Photo Instruments Limited which operated at 55 Princess Street from 1959-1989.

Identification

Object type
Image
Relation
Coolstore 2014-19
Date
1980s
Digitisation ID
2017P_2014-19_024388
Format
Colour print
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

Hokowhitu Lagoon
Hokowhitu Lagoon
"Cutting Weed on Centennial Lake"
Plan of Town and Suburban Sections, Palmerston North, Manawatu (Showing Subdivisions)
View of Lagoon from Woodhey
Plan of Town and Suburban Sections: Palmerston North, Manawatu
The Square looking East
"Hokowhitu Labour Day Golf Tournament"
"Down He Goes" [Carnival of the Lake]
349 College Street
Awanui building, Massey University's Hokowhitu campus
Patricia and Diane Hayes

Taxonomy

Tags
hokowhitu,
lagoons,
Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Hokowhitu Lagoon
Hokowhitu Lagoon
"Cutting Weed on Centennial Lake"
Plan of Town and Suburban Sections, Palmerston North, Manawatu (Showing Subdivisions)
View of Lagoon from Woodhey
Plan of Town and Suburban Sections: Palmerston North, Manawatu
The Square looking East
"Hokowhitu Labour Day Golf Tournament"
"Down He Goes" [Carnival of the Lake]
349 College Street
Awanui building, Massey University's Hokowhitu campus
Patricia and Diane Hayes