Skip to Content

More Info →Hokowhitu Lagoon

The Hokowhitu Lagoon is one of the original ox bow lagoons formed from the Manawatū River. It is sometimes called the Centennial Lagoon, named for New Zealand's 'centennial' celebrations in 1940. Across the river can be seen the then Palmerston North Teacher's College campus.

The photograph was taken by Alf and Merlyn Drew, to test equipment for their business, Photo Instruments Limited which operated at 55 Princess Street from 1959-1989.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2017P_2014-19_024389
Title
Hokowhitu Lagoon
Relation
Coolstore
Format
Colour print
Held In
Coolstore
License
cc-by

Related items

Hokowhitu Lagoon
Hokowhitu Lagoon
Hokowhitu Lagoon
Plan of Town and Suburban Sections, Palmerston North, Manawatu (Showing Subdivisions)
Plan of Town and Suburban Sections: Palmerston North, Manawatu
View of Lagoon from Woodhey
"Cutting Weed on Centennial Lake"
Butterfly Lakelet
Scene near Manawatū River
Ducks on the lakelet in The Square
"Ducks Seek Safe Haven Early" - Duck Shooting Season
Butterly Lakelet

Creation

Created By
Place
Centennial Drive, Palmerston North
Date
1980s

Object rights

Credit Line
Ian Matheson City Archives

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

Hokowhitu Lagoon
Hokowhitu Lagoon
Hokowhitu Lagoon
Plan of Town and Suburban Sections, Palmerston North, Manawatu (Showing Subdivisions)
Plan of Town and Suburban Sections: Palmerston North, Manawatu
View of Lagoon from Woodhey
"Cutting Weed on Centennial Lake"
Butterfly Lakelet
Scene near Manawatū River
Ducks on the lakelet in The Square
"Ducks Seek Safe Haven Early" - Duck Shooting Season
Butterly Lakelet

User comments