Skip to Content

More Info →The Square between Fitzherbert Avenue and Church Street West

The Bank of New Zealand stood on the corner of Fitzherbert Avenue, while the two-story brick Colonial Bank (not visible) stood on the site of the old City Council Chambers (now Square Edge). The wooden buildings between these two banks were erected after the fire of April 1891, which destroyed four buildings previously standing on this site. This photograph was taken about the same time as sq 127 because the same buildings and signs appear in both photographs.

Identification

Object type
Image
Digitisation ID
2014N_Sq11_008570
Title
The Square between Fitzherbert Avenue and Church Street West
Relation
Public Photograph Collection Sq 11
Held In
Coolstore

Related items

The Square between Fitzherbert Avenue and Church Street West
Looking across The Square, Palmerston North, to the Southeast
Corner of Church Street East and The Square
Looking across the Square Gardens to Broad Street
A Selection of Views of Palmerston North
A Busy Street Scene on Main Street West
From Coleman Place to Broadway Avenue, The Square
The Square, Palmerston North
Corner of Rangitikei Street and The Square
A View of the Square in the 1970s
The Square, Palmerton North
Looking down Broadway through The Square

Creation

Created By
Place
The Square, Palmerston North
Date
circa 1893

Object rights

Credit Line
Palmerston North City Library

Taxonomy

Community Tags

Report a problem

Related items

The Square between Fitzherbert Avenue and Church Street West
Looking across The Square, Palmerston North, to the Southeast
Corner of Church Street East and The Square
Looking across the Square Gardens to Broad Street
A Selection of Views of Palmerston North
A Busy Street Scene on Main Street West
From Coleman Place to Broadway Avenue, The Square
The Square, Palmerston North
Corner of Rangitikei Street and The Square
A View of the Square in the 1970s
The Square, Palmerton North
Looking down Broadway through The Square

User comments