The “Buffet” was a non-licensed boarding house and restaurant, established by Samuel Dawick, who died in 1888, and carried on by his widow and sons. It was one of the best known businesses in Palmerston North. This building was built in the 1890s to replace a wooden building destroyed by fire. In 1913 the license from the Royal Hotel on the corner of Rangitikei Street and The Square was transferred to the Buffet which then became the “New Royal Hotel”. The “New” was later discarded and the premises continued as a hotel until 1970. A tavern licence was then obtained and it commenced life as the Royal Tavern in 1971.
- Created By
- Whalley and Co., Crown Studios,
- Palmerston North
- Credit Line
- Palmerston North City Library
- Community Tags