An interior photograph of the Theatre Royal, which stood on the Western side of The Square. It was built about 1875 by the Forrester's Lodge and was used as a Lodge Room and Public Hall until 1884 when it was purchased by Frederick Mowlem, a local land agent. Mowlem and James Linton converted it into a theatre. It was destroyed by fire in 1885, but immediately rebuilt. The opening of the Opera House in 1905 resulted in the Theatre Royal being closed and it was converted into shops.