Originally known as 'Manawatu Buildings', this structure on the corner of George and Cuba Streets was erected in 1929 for Messrs. A. H. White, E. D. Berry and R. A. Port. The architect was C. Tilleard Natusch of Wellington. The three-storey building was constructed from reinforced concrete and featured marble-terrazzo floors and stairways. It originally housed the Dominion Sample Rooms on its first and second floors. On the ground floor, there were six shopfronts located on George Street and a further four on Cuba Street. In 1945 the NZ Government purchased the building and had it modified to house Government offices, including the Land and Income Tax Department and Social Security Office. It was subsequently known as 'Government Buildings'. The structure was demolished in 1992 to make way for a supermarket. It was later converted into a Harvey Normans store.
- Object type
- Digitisation ID
- Government Buildings, corner of George and Cuba Streets
- Held In