The Children's section of the library was on the upper floor of the Palmerston North Public Library. The Library was purpose built on the corner of Fitzherbert Avenue and The Square in 1928. The Junior Library went from a subscription basis to a ‘free’ library in 1938, resulting in a huge increase in membership. Not long after this photograph a new Junior Library was opened in two converted shops on the ground floor with its own entrance. Activities at the library included Saturday morning story readings, the Junior Library Players performing plays competitively and to the public, a Play Reading Circle, a Scrapbook Club making picture books for overseas and the hospital, and film screenings in winter.
- Created By
- K H Shea
- Corner of The Square and Fitzherbert Avenue, Palmerston North
- Credit Line
- Palmerston North City Library
- Community Tags